Tuesday 10 May 2016

My First School

The Purpose of this blog is to promote The Dyspraxia Foundation E book' "Dyspraxic Adults Surviving in a Non Dyspraxic World".  a self help book for dyspraxic adults. All proceeds go to the Dyspraxia Foundation adult support groups. Available on Amazon for £9.99

Today's blog is about my first school


My first school was when I attended at the age of 4 and one of several my brother Robin had become a pupil at, was Heaton Moor College, a private school in Stockport.  Robin had been to many schools where he hadn’t fitted in  for having "difficulties with his hands” as my Mum used to describe it. The school was a slightly crumbling dilapidated building that had seen better days. It was unusual compared to state schools because the teachers lived on the premises. The school managed to maintain some image of authority in the form of Mr Forman the terrifyingly strict headmaster, who wore a gown and mortarboard. The reality was that Heaton  Moor College was in decline and some of the teachers were not qualified to teach. They did not have a clue how to deal with either infant school children or ones with dyspraxia in an inclusive way.  Robin did not manage the work that he was given and I have a vivid memory of a teacher making him wear a dunces hat and stand in the corner of the room. I was encouraged to mock him, as a that age I did not know any better. Robin also remembered his teacher hitting him on the hand and sometimes the head with a ruler because he could not write cleanly in a strait line.



The Fat Giggler

 


During this era  My mum called me a fat giggler because of my fondness for sweet things. I was quite podgy and when I was not crying I was very cheeky, giddy and giggled a lot.  Although  my brown checked gingham dress brown blazer and ribboned hat did not suit my skin tone I looked very cheeky in it. I have memories of crying and screaming as frustrated 4 year old's do The teacher couldn’t cope with my tantrums.  I was screaming so loud that Mr Foreman came in one day to see what the noise was  because he could hear my howling from his study. Although there was a 31/2 year gap between us I was in the same class as Robin. I was the baby of the class and there were no infant classes. They gave me work which was more suitable for a 6 year old and I was expected to add up tens and units when I hadn’t even been taught the properties of numbers or how to do addition. This would have been hard for any child let alone a neurodivrgent one.



in the 1960s. ethnocentrism, I sheer ignorance and possibly Antisemitism was a way of life and there was no such thing as equality and diversity.  In spite of there being other Jewish pupils in the past when Robin and I refused to eat pork or luncheon meat for school dinners but the school prefects used to force us eat it all up.



One day my mother was summoned to see Mr Foreman who recited a list of both our misdemeanour's  and we ere both expelled from the school. My mother was really angry because we were referred to as ‘that pair’ and not as individuals. In reality we were just as disruptive as both individuals and as partners in crime. I was glad I was not coming back because the only girl,Laura who was near my age wasn’t friendly because she had emotional problems, but at the time I just thought she didn’t like me. So that was my first experience of school. It was definitely a character building and somewhat traumatic for both Robin and I and probably increased Laura's issues.
 Coming up soon what happened at  my next school.

No comments:

Post a Comment